WO3D MAT 3D additive manufacturing XL and bio-based materials
FCBA continue dans la fabrication additive
This WO3D resourcing programme, aims to integrate within these laboratories a 3D printing technology with a large printing volume of 1 m3, allowing the manufacture of biosourced materials at scale 1.
The actions were targeted at :
- The design, manufacture and installation of an FDM additive manufacturing platform with a printing volume of 1 m3 at the Bordeaux site,
- The development of thermoplastic lignin-based biobased yarns for FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) technology and,
- The production of large-scale (1:1) 3D printed prototypes for the construction and furniture sectors.
Biobased in additive manufacturing
The development of the 1 m3 3D printing printer was a success. D33D worked closely with the Bordeaux Mechanics Laboratory and the InTechFibres cluster to define the specifications and ensure the design and production. The design and commissioning at the Bordeaux site took just under 6 months.
FCBA has thus acquired a high-volume additive manufacturing platform that is scalable, since optimisations are planned. The addition of technical equipment aimed at making this platform a tool dedicated to high-volume 3D printing will enable innovation for the forestry and wood industry.
On the other hand, close collaboration between FCBA and CANOE has made it possible to develop new thermoplastic formulations in the form of lignin-based yarns associated with a biosourced castor oil-based polymer, polyamide 11 (PA11). High levels of lignin have been studied: e.g. 42% m/m.
Target applications (demonstrators) were defined at the beginning of the programme, two in the furniture sector and one in the construction sector.
Functional prototypes have been printed:
- 3D chair concepts in scale 1
- Printed surfaces with acoustic properties
The interest of this platform is to :
- Meet the needs of the industrialists in our sector by using raw materials (sawmill by-products, paper industry by-products, etc.) and the needs of industrialists in our downstream sector (sustainable housing) and other sectors such as plastics processing,
- Develop biosourced formulations, allowing the valorisation of co-products from the wood and paper pulp industry (wood flour, lignin, cellulose, etc.).
2021 a maturation stage
The WO3D MAT project “Technical maturation on additive manufacturing – production of prototypes” follows the resourcing project “Integration of 3D technology from wood-based bio-sourced materials”. Bringing together the same consortium FCBA, D33D, CANOE, with funding from the Conseil Régional Nouvelle Aquitaine. The aim of this stage is to step up the production of demonstrators, to produce biosourced yarns and thus develop new materials for industry.
The objectives of this maturation programme are to :
- Continue the development of additive manufacturing in the New Aquitaine region through the FCBA, CANOE and D33D partnership to join the regional dynamic in additive manufacturing and,
- To support manufacturers in the New Aquitaine region in their future developments in additive manufacturing through a joint FCBA-CANOE-D33D offer
a. On a thermoplastic base made from wood, lignin and biosourced thermoplastics
b. On a capacity for material innovation and large-scale printing
c. For a proof of concept of large-scale printed materials
The concepts currently being developed are targeted for applications in the wood construction and furniture industries:
- Printed surfaces with functional acoustic properties, designed by FCBA with a thermoplastic produced by CANOE and printed by the CORE 1000 printer designed by D33D
- Concept of chairs designed by the FCBA Furniture Division
The innovation concerns the use of lignins produced from liqueurs, co-products of the paper industry, wood flours associated with conventional biosourced thermoplastics PLA, PA11, …
Project partners :
FCBA, CANOE, D33D